Delectable Strawberry & Buttermilk Oven Baked Risotto
Contrary to popular belief, risotto is not just a winter dish; in fact it’s a delicious way to enjoy fresh seasonal produce, particularly in the spring and summer.
This summer, enjoy the best of British flavours the Italian way and live la vita bella with a mouth-watering summer risotto using the finest British strawberries – whilst they’re in season. The sweetness of the strawberries lends itself perfectly to the creamy risotto, this dish is simply delicious and the perfect summer dessert.
Indulge in a delicious Italian risotto whilst enjoying the very best of British seasonal produce.
Strawberry Oven Baked Risotto with Buttermilk
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 250g strawberries (Sweet Eve)
- 1 litre of buttermilk (or plain milk with the juice of 1 lemon mixed in)
- 100g soft brown unrefined cane sugar
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 200g Riso Gallo Arborio or Carnaroli Risotto Rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250ml fresh cream, for serving
- Unsalted butter for the roasting tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Butter a small roasting tin, or small apple crumble Pyrex dish.
- Hull the strawberries and cut them into small pieces. Place them in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, the sugar and the lemon zest in a bowl and mix well.
- Scatter the Riso Gallo Risotto Rice and strawberry pieces evenly across the buttered roasting tray. Break the cinnamon stick in two pieces and place them, set apart, in the tin. Pour the milky liquid evenly throughout the roasting tin.
- Bake the risotto in the pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes, or until the rice grains are very soft, and the top of the risotto is crisp and browned. You may need to cover the top of the rice pudding with aluminium foil to stop it from darkening too much.
- When ready, remove the roasting tin from the oven and set the rice pudding aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly, before serving with double cream.
For the risotto recipes in full, and more, visit www.risogallo.com and follow us at Riso Gallo UK on Facebook and Twitter.